Re: [OpenStack Foundation] Technical Committee: reserved seats for PTLs (or not)

Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Why not STV? Many many many other FOSS orgs use it; it's well known
> and really does the job.

Many many FOSS orgs also use Schulze [1]...

That said I would agree that while Schulze is great to pick a single
winner, it's lacking a bit when the vote is about picking multiple
winners : if a given party owns 51% of the voters and they all vote the
same, you'll end up with them 100% of the seats.

This can be mitigated by using CIVS's experimental support for
proportional representation[2], which is what I suggest we use in the
draft. However that support is... well... experimental, so maybe STV is
a better choice here. In particular in CIVS you have to numerically
ponder the options, which is admittedly very confusing.

Would you recommend an online platform that lets us run the election
using STV ? Any other advantage to using STV ?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method#Use_of_the_Schulze_method

[2] http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/civs/proportional.html

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)