Re: Use of IANA-registered ports

Yes, that's a good point.  Certainly for the API nodes we should use port 80/443, and change the defaults if necessary.

We've got some complications though: http://swift.openstack.org/howto_installmultinode.html says "Auth node: ... This can be on the same node as a Proxy node" and "Storage nodes: Runs the swift-account-server, swift-container-server, and swift-object-server." This implies that we need at least two ports for a storage proxy, and three ports for a storage node.  I think that some people plan to run the Glance API and registry on the same machine too.  We could run these things on 80, 81, and 82 in the case of a storage node, but I don't see that that's any better than using arbitrary ports as we are at the moment.  8080 is a possibility too of course, but some people may want to run web UIs on these nodes too, in which case it would be nice to keep 8080 available.

All said, I think if people are serious about running storage nodes with account, container, and object servers together, then it's reasonable for us to ask for new ports to be assigned.  The argument is weaker (but still reasonable I think) for storage API nodes with auth and proxy together (proxy will use port 80, but we still need one for auth).

For Nova, I think we're OK with the HTTP ports, because most of the components are using rabbitmq for communication.  For Glance, I'm not sure.

Cheers,

Ewan.