Re: Deprecating nova-objectstore

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mellor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We could do it in two steps.  You could set up nova-compute -> Glance -> nova-objectstore (testing purposes only).  This would allow us to remove the S3 code from Nova, but people could still use nova-objectstore if they don't want to set up Swift.

This is already done in Bexar, as Chris MacGown completed the S3
backend for Glance. What is NOT the same, though, is that people would
not be speaking the s3 API as they do now... they would speak the
Glance REST-like API instead... Plus, objects are a superset of
images; Glance only stores images, not all objects...

> Incidentally, it's also possible for Glance to use a local filesystem rather than a remote store at all.  This is perfectly reasonable for small setups.

I think the big difference is that clients would be talking to Glance
and its RESTlike/JSON API, not to an S3 API front-end like
nova-objectstore.

The big question is whether OpenStack wants to support Amazon S3 as an
objectstore at all, instead of just Swift, which now can communicate
via an S3 API (http://swift.openstack.org/misc.html#module-swift.common.middleware.swift3).

-jay