Re: Deprecating nova-objectstore

Jay Pipes wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mellor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> We could do it in two steps.  You could set up nova-compute -> Glance -> nova-objectstore (testing purposes only).  This would allow us to remove the S3 code from Nova, but people could still use nova-objectstore if they don't want to set up Swift.
>
> This is already done in Bexar, as Chris MacGown completed the S3
> backend for Glance. What is NOT the same, though, is that people would
> not be speaking the s3 API as they do now... they would speak the
> Glance REST-like API instead... Plus, objects are a superset of
> images; Glance only stores images, not all objects...
>
>> Incidentally, it's also possible for Glance to use a local filesystem rather than a remote store at all.  This is perfectly reasonable for small setups.
>
> I think the big difference is that clients would be talking to Glance
> and its RESTlike/JSON API, not to an S3 API front-end like
> nova-objectstore.
>
> The big question is whether OpenStack wants to support Amazon S3 as an
> objectstore at all, instead of just Swift, which now can communicate
> via an S3 API (http://swift.openstack.org/misc.html#module-swift.common.middleware.swift3).

OK, my understanding was that euca-upload-bundle is talking directly to
an S3-like backend, so if we want to support "the EC2 way of registering
images" we need some S3-compatible server...

For serious deployments I guess we would use Swift S3 frontend. For demo
cases, do we need a simpler solution ? And if yes, which one ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack