Re: Network Service for L2/L3 Network Infrastructure blueprint

On 01/28/2011 11:45 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Vishvananda Ishaya
> <vishvananda@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I agree.  I think splitting glance into a separate project has actually
>> slowed it down.
>
> Massively disagree here.  The only slowdown integrating Glance/Nova
> was around packaging issues, and those have now been resolved.  What
> other slowdowns are you referring to?  Glance is going at light-speed
> compared to other projects IMHO.

For historical accuracy:

Glance is in great shape now, but did flounder for the first couple
months of the Austin release cycle.  The problem was that separating it
took the work off of the radar of most of the Nova devs.  That was
primarily a communication issue.  Once Jay became involved and fixed
that, things have progressed very well.

So regardless of if and when we decide to split out other functionality,
we need to ensure that there is enough communication back to the core
project's development team.

>>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/bexar-extend-network-model
>>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/bexar-network-service
>>>

>>> It was discussed at ODS, but I have not seen any code or momentum, to
>>> date.
>>>
>>> I think it is worth while to have an open discussion about what if any
>>> of this can be safely done in Cactus.  I like you, Jay, feel a bit
>>> conservative.  I think we lost focus of the reason we chose time based
>>> releases. It is time to focus on nova being a solid trustworthy