Re: Steps that can help stabilize Nova's trunk

On Feb 17, 2011, at 5:55 PM, Soren Hansen wrote:

> 2011/2/17 Lorin Hochstein <lorin@xxxxxxx>:
>> For those who deploy on platforms other than Ubuntu, are these
>> customizations recorded somewhere in the OpenStack documentation?
>
> Hmm.. No. I submitted it upstream, applied it in Ubuntu, and uploaded
> backported packages to the PPA's. I guess we could also add a patches/
> directory to nova and stick stuff in there. Would that address your
> concerns?

Yeah, I think that should do.

>> Having access to a comprehensive set of the dependency packages versions for
>> the reference implementation platform would be very helpful for debugging
>> problems on other platforms.  Is it possible  automatically pull this info
>> from the PPA, extract it from the package metadata, and then add it to the
>> admin guide docs?
>
> I'd hate to have to update admin docs for this sort of stuff. A
> general pointer to the (not-yet-existing) patches/ directory would be
> a good idea, though.

I think that's fine, something like "Some dependencies contain bugs that prevent nova working correctly. In those cases nova relies on a customized version of the dependency with a bugfix.  These bugfixes to dependencies are located in the patches/ directory".

Take care,

Lorin
--
Lorin Hochstein, Computer Scientist