Re: Swift PPA's

2011/5/6 Greg Holt <gholt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On May 6, 2011, at 5:06 AM, Soren Hansen wrote:
>> 2011/5/5 Chuck Thier <cthier@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Hey Soren,
>>> We've asked similar questions before :)
>>> Ever since the packaging was pulled out of the source tree, we have been
>>> mostly out of the packaging loop.  Since then most of the packaging details
>>> have been handled by monty and you.
>> It's been almost 6 months since I was deactivated from the swift-core
>> team. I did not set up your PPAs.
> Are you you being serious Soren?

Quite. I was deactivated from the team on November 18, if memory serves.
Whatever has happen in terms of setting up new PPA's or destroying old
ones has not been me.

I *did* make some changes to the magic that builds and uploads the
source packages so that nova, glance, and swift at least shared that
code. In the process I tried to merge the code you had in your
lp:swift/debian branch with what we were using in Ubuntu.

> A few months ago the things seemed to have moved from the "since the
> beginning" location of lp:swift/debian to
> lp:~openstack-ubuntu-packagers/swift/ubuntu

lp:~openstack-ubuntu-packagers/swift/ubuntu didn't exist until between
1200 and 1500 UTC yesterday :) You probably mean
lp:~openstack-ubuntu-packagers/ubuntu/natty/swift/ubuntu. I created that
to make the packaging code and infrastructure for the three main
projects be more aligned. It wasn't meant as a move to take anything
away from anyone.

> and I had to ask you for access to that repo. You were the one who created that repo, I presume now that you did that because you had been removed from swift-core and still wanted to build the packages.

I really just wanted to have a way where the Ubuntu team and we could
collaborate on the packaging. I never thought that would be
controversial.

>>> We build our own packages for production, so we have mostly ignored
>>> it, figuring you guys would keep the packaging in line with what
>>> Nova was doing.   I'm all for cleaning that stuff up though, so let
>>> us know if there is anything you need from us.
>> Understanding what purpose your current PPA's serve would be quite
>> helpful (in order to find a good migration path to line up with
>> everyone else).
> As far as I know, they're to serve the OpenStack community's general
> usage,

Oh, right, sure. I meant what specifically are each of these ones for:

 * swift-core/1.2 "1.2 Packages"
 * swift-core/ppa "Swift Packages"
 * swift-core/release "Release PPA"
 * swift-core/trunk "Swift Trunk Packages"

What is the plan for each of these? How does e.g. the /ppa one differ
from /trunk?

>> It would also be helpful to understand (and have documented) how your
>> production packages are different (and why).
> We make our own because the OpenStack side seemed a mess and a moving
> target we had no control over.

Hm. Ok. How can we get you guys more invested in this? As you point out
yourself, you were added the team that owns these branches, so there's
clearly more to it than that.

> Building our own packages allows us to qa them properly, for lucid
> (the latest LTS version), and not have to worry about a newly kicked
> box getting some newly autocreated version from lp that we haven't
> tested.

Having everything automated and having everyone use the same stuff seems
to be a good pattern for qaing stuff throughout the development cycle.
Works for everything else :)

Where's your packaging code and what do you do for QA? Almost all the
conversations I've had about QA have been about Nova :-/

> We haven't been overly public about this or made a big documentation
> page on it because we didn't want to step on toes. But, since you're
> indicating you thought we were in control even we had none...

I got a clear indication that I wasn't supposed to change anything about
your PPA structure. I somehow assumed that someone else was going to :)

>>> We do though have a couple of docs that reference the ppas, so if we
>>> make changes, then we should make changes there as well:
>>>  http://swift.openstack.org/howto_installmultinode.html
>>> http://swift.openstack.org/debian_package_guide.html
>> What is that based on (if I wanted to provide patches for it)? Is it
>> in the swift code repo?
> Yes, just like nova.openstack.org swift.openstack.org is autobuilt via
> Sphinx from the project's trunk.

Ok.

> As far as what should be done by who at this point, I should probably
> wait to comment on that part until I get back in the office next week.

No worries.

> Are things moving to github? If so, what all is staying on launchpad?

I expect the packaging stuff will stay on Launchpad. It's a
collaborative effort between the Ubuntu team and us and it's completely
separate from our "real" code.

> Didn't John Purrier form a new integration team with Monty and others
> to maintain packaging?

I'm not sure. I'm on the same team as Monty, but truth be told, I'm not
sure if there are subteams in our team and I'm not supposed to do
packaging anymore. Noone told me to stop.  :)

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/