Re: Do we really need a CLA? [was Re: Using Gerrit to verify the CLA]

Hey Mark,

First of all, orthogonally, we are very lucky to not have Copyright
Assignment crushing this project.  That is what the management at
Rackspace wanted, only NASA's inability to sign such a document
prevented it.

IANAL, but I was told by lawyers when we were in the planning stages of
starting Openstack, that while in the US submitting code under the
Apache License 2.0 was enough to bind the submitter to it, that is not
the case in all countries.  Some countries require explicit acceptance
to be bound by it.

As far as changing anything about the way the CLA works, until we have a
foundation, the discussion of which seems to have stalled, we, as a
group, have no real authority to change anything.

We have a bigger hole in the Corporate CLA, IMHO.  I have been told that
since it is necessary for a corporate signer to explicitly name their
individual contributers, and we have no way of updating the document,
openstack is potentially left open to a lawsuit, if an employee
unspecified in the CLA, contributes something they consider IP.  I
seriously hate all this legal stuff.

Cheers,

Rick