Re: Do we really need a CLA? [was Re: Using Gerrit to verify the CLA]

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Rick Clark <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As far as changing anything about the way the CLA works, until we have a
> foundation, the discussion of which seems to have stalled, we, as a
> group, have no real authority to change anything.

Good to know.

> We have a bigger hole in the Corporate CLA, IMHO.  I have been told that
> since it is necessary for a corporate signer to explicitly name their
> individual contributers, and we have no way of updating the document,
> openstack is potentially left open to a lawsuit, if an employee
> unspecified in the CLA, contributes something they consider IP.  I
> seriously hate all this legal stuff.

Fun, fun, fun.

I seem to recall jQuery having some growing pains where they had to
after-the-fact start doing CLA. Might be worth talking to them, if
there gets to be some momentum behind reconsidering CLAs.

Oregon State University Open Source Lab has a lot of knowledge around
CLA options, and they have the  http://www.harmonyagreements.org
project.