Re: Do we really need a CLA? [was Re: Using Gerrit to verify the CLA]

I think this is true (that this is more of an issue for copyleft projects than it is for Apache-licensed ones) but I don't think that it's fair to describe these as "strange sociological reasons" as Richard does.  These are legitimate organizational reasons.  It's much easier for me to get Citrix Legal to approve a Corporate CLA than it is for me to get them to approve ongoing, unspecified, assignment of intellectual property (particularly to assign that property to someone who might be our competitor in the future).

> > Now, I think that's perfectly fine, because that's how free
> > software/open source has always worked. Indeed it is a key part of
> why
> > it works. It would be strange if OpenStack did things any
> > differently. But if *that's* okay, why is it not okay for
> contributors
> > to OpenStack to have the same freedom to indicate their licensing in
> > of contributions in a traditional manner -- namely, by merely
> > providing notice of the license (which might as well be the Apache
> > License 2.0)?  It doesn't make sense.
>
> I do agree, but I'm curious what you would argue makes it clear that a
> contribution is intended to be licensed under Apache License 2.0 if
> that
> contribution is merely a (significant) patch to an existing file
> containing an Apache License 2.0 header in a project containing an
> Apache License 2.0 LICENSE file.
>
> Is simply by contributing the patch to such a project that makes the
> licensing intent sufficiently clear? Or is it simply modifying such a
> file and making the modifications publicly available?

Clause 5: "Unless You explicitly state otherwise, any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work by You to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of this License"

So unless you say otherwise, any code you submit is implicitly covered by this license, and if you don't like that, then you implicitly lose the right to distribute the software under this license.

The problem with all that is "implicitly".  I'm sure all that would stand up in court (IANAL etc) but who wants to go there?  Remember SCO?  The CLAs, for me, serve mainly to make explicit things that are already in the license agreement or in existing copyright law.  That's a good thing.

Ewan.