Re: running Tempest continuously in the openstack project?

I'm testing against a bare metal installation of Openstack and since a few days ago, an instance of Devstack as well. My team and I are mostly running Tempest from OSX or Ubuntu. Some of the clutter in the Tempest project is due to a merge of many projects to one. There are still some legacy portions of code remaining which will be phased out in the next few months so that the final project is much cleaner and easier to understand.

I have some revised documentation that I'm preparing to push, but in the interim I'll explain a bit more about how the project should be configured. The tempest.conf.sample file is a template to be used for your actual configuration. Your actual config file should be named tempest.conf. The host, port, apiVer, and path variables should build the path to your Keystone deployment, and the user, api_key, and tenant_name fields should match some existing user in your deployment.

The environment section is mostly for reference data. image_ref and image_ref_alt should be id or ref for two distinct images in your deployment. Flavor_ref and flavor_ref_alt should be set based on valid flavors in your deployment as well. Create_image_enabled and resize_available are feature flags to toggle tests for that functionality. Once you have a valid config file, the tests are runnable like any other test via nose. That one file is all that needs to be changed.

I'm glad to see the surge of interest in Tempest, and every bit of feedback is helpful. I'll be pushing code (some of which is already merged) and documentation changes this week to address issues and concerns. I'm also lurking in openstack-dev as dwalleck, and I'd be more than glad to discuss Tempest and help work through any issues anyone is having.

Daryl