Re: [CHEF] Aligning Cookbook Efforts

cc'ing list, since it's a great question and good follow-up conversation to have...

On 02/28/2012 02:32 PM, andi abes wrote:
Interesting. Would you mind doing a code review on Mary Newby's Swift All in
One cookbook? Could sure use your experience :)

https://review.openstack.org/#change,3613

Might be a good dip into the Gerrit world for ya, too ;)

I think I might get to be a scratched record here, since the question
was asked before.... is the goal of these cookbooks to support a SAIO
env, or a more multi-noded version?

a SIOA would be nice for devs and newbies, but hides some of the
complexities. A multi-noded version would be more complex (and
probably controversial around tradeoffs) but potentially have more
value for users...

(I obviously have my opinion, but curious as to where other folks are
trying to drive this effort)

I think that both are incredibly useful. With my as-yet-still-limited understanding of Chef, it would be possible to have both an SAIO and a multi-node Swift cookbook in the same repo, no? Or some combination of cookbooks and roles that would allow a node to install SAIO or a piece of the Swift multi-node puzzle?

-jay