Re: Duplication of code in nova and cinder

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Sam Morrison <sorrison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I attempted to create a volume from an image in cinder and was getting
> this strange error, turns out it was because I had my glance servers
> specified as https://glanceserver:9292
>
> In cinder the version of images/glance.py is older than the one in nova
> and is missing the ssl support additions.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1089147
>
> My real question is why is there one version is nova and one version in
> cinder. I also think there is quite a bit more unnecessary duplication.
> Should it all go into oslo?
>
> Cheers,
> Sam

Hi Sam,

Short answer is "yes".  Need to check scoping etc and make sure that it
does in fact fit within the parameters of OSLO.  It's something I thought
of a couple weeks ago but to be honest it's been low on my list personally
and nobody else that I know of has shown an interest in picking it up.

You'll notice another image related item we're *borrowing* from Nova
(cinder.image.image_utils).  In both cases there are slight modifications
to fit Cinder's use case that given a bit of work could easily be shared.

John