From: Dean Troyer [mailto:dtroyer@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 2:53 PM
To: Snider, Tim
Cc: openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Openstack] running devstack

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Snider, Tim <Tim.Snider@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But then trying to run any of the exercises fails with " X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication". What didn't I get setup correctly?

The first rulle of devstack is don't run as root.  The second rule of devstack...

Only stack.sh has the defensive prevent-running-as-root code in it.
It'll create a 'stack' user if it doesn't exist then switch to it and exec itself and leave you in a shell as 'stack'.

>           root@84Server:~/devstack/exercises# ./client-env.sh
>           *********************************************************************
>           Begin DevStack Exercise: ./client-env.sh
>           *********************************************************************
>           Test Keystone
>           X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.

This looks like an ssh client message.  I have no idea why it would appear here as we don't use ssh directly for anything in that test.

As Sean suggested set up your environment and try a couple of things by hand:

# cd to devstack directory
. openrc admin admin
keystone catalog --service identity

# if that doesn't work try:
keystone --debug catalog

It is possible that the keystone database did not get initialized properly.  If you are still having trouble, the output of tools/info.sh would also bee useful to see.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer@xxxxxxxxx