Re: Quantum conceptual question (bridges)

OVS is not compatible with iptables + ebtables rules that are applied
directly on VIF ports.
So the libvirt_vif_driver 'nova.virt.libvirt.vif.LibvirtHybirdOVSBridgeDriver'
create a Linux software bridge to be able to apply security group rules
with iptables.

If you don't need the security group functionalities, you can
use libvirt_vif_driver
'nova.virt.libvirt.vif.LibvirtOpenVswitchVirtualPortDriver'
or 'nova.virt.libvirt.vif.LibvirtOpenVswitchDriver' (depends on your
libvirt version).
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-network/admin/content/nova_with_quantum_vifplugging_ovs.html

I think this point must be listed in the limitations page of the OpenStack
Networking Admin guide
http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/openstack-network/admin/content/ch_limitations.html

Édouard.