Re: Quantum conceptual question (bridges)

Édouard:

I didn't realize that there's a Linux software bridge inolved when security
groups are enabled.

However, this doesn't really answer my original question. I asked about the
fact that there seemed to be two openvswitch bridges that packets have to
cross to get from the virtual interface (say, vnet0) to the physical
interface (say, eth2) on the host, assuming the openvswitch plugin and
using vlan for transport.

vnet0 <--> br-int <--> br-eth2 <--> eth2.

Based on your answer,  I see that there are actually three bridges that
packets have to traverse when using security groups:

vnet0 <--> qbr???? <--> br-int <--> br-eth2 <--> eth2

Is this view correct? If so, is there a performance penalty (e.g.,
increased latency, reduced bandwidth) for having to cross two Open vSwitch
bridges: br-int and br-eth2?

If there is a penalty, I was curious as to whether this splitting into two
bridges was done because it isn't possible to implement the desired
functionality using a single openvswitch bridge, or if there was some other
reason why it was split out into two (e.g., to simplify the implementation).

Lorin