Re: Can I run qemu-kvm in an OpenStack Instance

If you really want to go crazy, why not run OpenStack in an OpenStack instance to launch your qemu machines:

http://devstack.org/guides/single-vm.html

- Joseph
From: Openstack [openstack-bounces+joseph.quinn=rackspace.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Daniel Ellison [daniel@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 4:54 PM
To: Robert Collins
Cc: OpenStack Users
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Can I run qemu-kvm in an OpenStack Instance

On Jun 13, 2013, at 5:34 PM, Robert Collins <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> install linux-image-generic, it will bring in
> linux-image-extra-$version-generic which has kvm.

That did it! I'm now creating a CentOS KVM image in an Ubuntu OpenStack VM. I'll wait until it finishes before celebrating, but there are no errors so far.

Just to clarify, I first installed linux-image-generic but it didn't automatically bring in linux-image-extra-$version-generic. I did an apt-cache search and found linux-image-extra-virtual. I installed that and it brought in KVM. I subsequently had to start qemu-kvm manually, but it did start.

I'll update this thread if and when the CentOS image is created successfully.

Thanks, Robert!