Re: Can I run qemu-kvm in an OpenStack Instance

On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:24 AM, laclasse <laclasse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, the Ubuntu cloud image is made to run as a guest atop an hypervisor and it makes sense to optimize it by removing the unlikely needed modules that usually require hardware to run (nested virt is not yet common). Scott Moser may confirm/infirm.
>
> Maybe you can try installing the 'normal' kernel on your guest that has the vmx flag exported in its vm config and try loading it again. On that Ubuntu guest, you can also install "cpu-checker" that gives you a 'kvm-ok' cli:
> # kvm-ok
> INFO: /dev/kvm exists
> KVM acceleration can be used

When I run 'virsh capabilities | virsh cpu-baseline /dev/stdin I get:

<cpu match='exact'>
  <model>Penryn</model>
  <vendor>Intel</vendor>
  <feature policy='require' name='hypervisor'/>
  <feature policy='require' name='vmx'/>
  <feature policy='require' name='ss'/>
  <feature policy='require' name='vme'/>
  <feature policy='disable' name='sse4.1'/>
</cpu>

So the 'vmx' flag is there. kvm-ok was already installed on my guest. It tells me:

    INFO: /dev/kvm exists
    KVM acceleration can be used

So we're good there, too. modprobing kvm and kvm_intel works now as well. qemu-kvm is up and running. It seems that everything is set up for my Ubuntu guest to use the host's hardware virtualization!

Thanks,
Daniel