openteachermaintainers team mailing list archive

Ideas on file type containers

Hello *,

After some discussions on the subject of list management, we saw two
possible options (please correct me if I'm wrong):
- If lists are combined, they are stored in a new file (i.e. .otar).
This allows us to combine lists of different types.
- Lists are added to already existing files, the downside is that since
a file already has an extension it isn't possible to combine several
file types using this approach.

While I tried to summarize these things (this morning), I thought about
a third option, it combines both:

- All file types would use a single extension (i.e. .otf, Open Teaching
Format?). That allows them to combine multiple file types in the same
container without having to generate a new container file like option 1.
The downside: no separated extensions anymore, so file management is
harder.

I also thought about letting go the 'list' idea in favour of more
content-oriented types (by .ottx this would be per text instead of per
list for example), but I didn't elaborate on the effects of doing that
yet.

--
Marten de Vries

Follow ups