openupgrade-drivers team mailing list archive

Progress of 5 -> 6.0 modules / dropping columns

Hi,

there has been a good deal of activity on the openupgrade-addons project recently! Therp has migration scripts for a number of modules in preparation for 5 -> 6.0. See https://code.launchpad.net/~therp-nl/openupgrade-addons/6.0-hr-project-stock. These scripts should be feature complete, but are yet untested and guaranteed to contain bugs. We will test the scripts in the next couple of days.

Apart from that I see a number of branches appear by several committers that are apparently trying to recreate this effort, creating migration scripts for modules covered by the branch mentioned above. I hope the committers have read the messages that I sent them or are reading this message now. If you could please base your work on the branch above, we can achieve some pretty fruitful cooperation I believe.

In these branches, there is extensive use of the "drop_column" API call [1]. I assume that this is meant for cleaning up columns that are no longer in use by the ORM. That is a laudable goal, but I was wondering if we should not rather implement a feature in the openupgrade service module (as yet to be developed) that purges all unused fields from the database in one big sweep. That should save a lot of work in the individual files and takes away the risk of removing a column that has actually been delegated to another module (e.g. by a custom module).

Curious to hear your opinion on this.

Cheers,
Stefan.

[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~muralikrishna-velamuru/openupgrade-addons/6.0/revision/4781#account/migrations/6.0.1.1/post-migration.py

--
Therp - Maatwerk in open ontwikkeling

Stefan Rijnhart - Ontwerp en implementatie

mail: stefan@xxxxxxxx
tel: +31 (0) 614478606
http://therp.nl
https://twitter.com/therp_stefan