openupgrade-drivers team mailing list archive

Re: OpenUpgrade & OCB

On 09/18/2013 11:34 PM, Sylvain LE GAL wrote:
Hi Stefan,

As you know, I'm working on the migration of my databases from 6.1 to 7.0 version I have the goal to work with the 7.0 at november.

Hi Sylvain,

you are doing a great job, thank you! Sorry we are lagging behind a bit in reviewing your proposals. I'm forwarding this to the list as it could be interesting to other parties, hope you don't mind.

I actually wonder if I have to start with the official version or with the OCB version.

As you're involved in the 2 projects, I wanna know your point of view.

The question I have are the following :
- Is it possible after have done an OpenUpgrade migration to use the database with the OCB version ? Is there an additionnal work to provide ? It seem that OCB doesn't only fix bugs but changes models too. (or simply changes model to fix some bugs)

There is a slight number of changes in the datamodel in OCB, that is true. But the principle behind OCB is that you can always switch from official to OCB and back again if you are willing to do an --update all. Note that you should upgrade your database after a regular update of the OCB branches anyway if there has been scheme change, or to profit from the fixes in views and other data. This constitutes a discrepancy with the official marketing of the idea that 'as a user, you can change anything in the interface' and it is why OpenERP SA considers these changes as 'breaking existing setups'. But if your changes are neatly in a module (or in properly manually created overriding view definitions) you should not have a problem.

A round trip between official 7.0 and OCB will actually make you lose the information stored in the few OCB specific columns, such as the 'active' flag on account journals, because OpenERP as of 7.0 actively drops columns for missing field definitions (which I propose to disable in OpenUpgrade server here: https://code.launchpad.net/~therp-nl/openupgrade-server/7.0-deferred_steps/+merge/177858).

- Has the community planned to do an OpenUpgrade project for OCB version. like ocb/6.1 to ocb/7.0 ? Is it relevant ?
- How do you work with your customers that have ocb branch to upgrade ?

Fortunately, this is not relevant at all. We migrate customers from ocb-6.1 through openupgrade-7.0 to ocb-7.0. It's basically running a database through the branches with --update all. No problem at all.

Thanks for your attention and your possible advice.
I hope that I did'nt annoyed you with my questions.

Not at all! Thanks again for all your work on the project.

Cheers,
Stefan.

Best regards.

logo 	*Sylvain LE GAL
*
Service informatique
*GRAP* SCIC SARL
*Groupement Régional Alimentaire de Proximité*
3 Grande rue des feuillants 69001 Lyon
Bureau : (+33) 09.72.32.33.17
Astreinte : (+33) 06.81.85.61.43
Site web : www.grap.coop <http://www.grap.coop>