oqgraph-dev team mailing list archive

Re: What to do about oqgraph v3 (10.0, Slackware, Debian, etc)

On Friday 20 September 2013 23:34:03 Andrew McDonnell wrote:
> Hello Arjen, Tom, Heinz
>
> [..]
>
> Would the difference be because the Slackware packaging proposal is for
> imminent release whereas Debian Unstable is, well, Unstable?

Not really. My point here is that Slackware doesn't normally do patches to
upstream projects. Exceptions would include security fixes, fixes already
committed in the upstream vcs, or fixes for dead upstream. Neither would be the
case here IMHO. (We even skipped a security patch because it replaced a core
component of a library rather than actually fixing it, so you can imagine that
chances of getting a patch accepted, which replaces a core component without
security implications are slim.)
So the only way we'd get v3 with MariaDB 5.5 is if it is accepted by MariaDB
upstream, and this is what I raised my doubts about whether they would accept
it. If they do, everything is rainbows and unicorns :)

> I assume here you are worried about existing deployments using oqgraphv2
> suddenly finding themselves using oqgraphv3, and although I built a
> backwards compatibility mode into v3, it is probably not obvious or
> automatic to enable this and is only moderately tested (and changing the
> latch from int to varchar is a fundamental variance in the interface)

That would be one of the concerns I would expect the MariaDB devs to have.

Grs,
Heinz