oqgraph-dev team mailing list archive

Re: What to do about oqgraph v3 (10.0, Slackware, Debian, etc)

On Friday 20 September 2013 16:41:54 Heinz Wiesinger wrote:
> On Friday 20 September 2013 23:34:03 Andrew McDonnell wrote:
> > Hello Arjen, Tom, Heinz
> >
> > [..]
> >
> > Would the difference be because the Slackware packaging proposal is for
> > imminent release whereas Debian Unstable is, well, Unstable?
>
> Not really. My point here is that Slackware doesn't normally do patches to
> upstream projects. Exceptions would include security fixes, fixes already
> committed in the upstream vcs, or fixes for dead upstream. Neither would be
> the case here IMHO. (We even skipped a security patch because it replaced a
> core component of a library rather than actually fixing it, so you can
> imagine that chances of getting a patch accepted, which replaces a core
> component without security implications are slim.)
> So the only way we'd get v3 with MariaDB 5.5 is if it is accepted by MariaDB
> upstream, and this is what I raised my doubts about whether they would
> accept it. If they do, everything is rainbows and unicorns :)
>
> > I assume here you are worried about existing deployments using oqgraphv2
> > suddenly finding themselves using oqgraphv3, and although I built a
> > backwards compatibility mode into v3, it is probably not obvious or
> > automatic to enable this and is only moderately tested (and changing the
> > latch from int to varchar is a fundamental variance in the interface)
>
> That would be one of the concerns I would expect the MariaDB devs to have.

Is there an update on this? MariaDB 10.0 went into beta (= feature freeze), so
I guess we won't see OQGraph v3 in 10.0.x. But it would still be nice if we
could get it installable as an addon. Waiting for 10.1 is gonna be a while :/

Grs,
Heinz