p2psp team mailing list archive

Re: NAT Traversal Set of rules implementation

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 6:57 PM Max Mertens <max.mail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Hi Vicente,

Hello!

> Taking a few ideas from this paper [1], I added subtypes of the symmetric
> NAT type depending on the public source port allocation (port preservation
> (SYMPP), sequential port allocation (SYMSP), or random port allocation
> (SYMRP)) to the documentation and the script. I added a result table below,
> but have to recheck the values to be certain about the results (the table
> is not symmetric, I marked the odd results in bold).

Please, refresh my memory: Which is the difference between Peer1 and Peer2?

> This implementation of the symmetric NAT subtypes is to determine if the
> (now following) NTS implementation for symmetric NATs works.
> An algorithm I would suggest to the P2PSP protocol is to determine if the
> NAT is a "port preserving symmetric NAT", i.e. the public source port is
> the same as the source port of the local host behind the NAT (which can
> easily be determined).

Then the only case where a connection cannot be established would be with
> two symmetric NATs with random port allocation, or with sequential
> allocation and a "port stepsize" greater than 1 (which seems not supported
> by the P2PSP algorithms).

That's right. Well, however, if we are able to determine the port
allocation scheme used by a NAT, do you think that we could traverse it?

Regards,
Vi.

--
Vicente González Ruiz