Re: Localisation issues as paper cuts

On 1 January 2013 18:23, Timothy Arceri <t_arceri@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I dont see why we are restricting papercuts like this. I have helped fix a
> number of locale issues through papercut reports, either by allocating the
> bug to the right place in launchpad or by reporting it to the right place
> upstream

This is how I think we should handle all bugs that we're not going to look
at ourselves - forward them to someone who will.

> no more kde,

I believe this was necessary. If we're going to support Kubuntu, then we
would also need to support Xubuntu and Lubuntu, and by focusing only on
Ubuntu, we can target more bugs there than we would be able to had we split
ourselves over multiple desktops.

> no locale bugs isn't that what caused the project to die off in the first
> place no bugs for people work on?

The restrictions that caused the project to die off the first time round
were different from these ones. Back then, it was a lot of bugs being
rejected as 'feature requests' or 'not affecting the average user', and the
biggest one was 'just a normal bug instead of a usability flaw'. It's that
last one that I think we've loosened up on which is allowing us to target
more bugs.

> We are still yet to have targeted 100 for this release (we are almost
> there but not yet) if anything we should be removing limitations and
> widening the project that way we also widen the range of potential
> contributers to the project.

I know, and I realise I've lost track of that over the past month. I'm
going to get onto this now and start asking people to send us their paper
cuts. I've also got a few ideas to make it easier to find existing paper
cuts in the current bug database. Over the next day or two I'll put
together some wiki pages for them so a discussion can begin.

I appreciate your concern over the restrictions and the possible
implication they could have, but I feel we're only going to loose a handful
of potential paper cuts from these, while gaining many more by lightening
the definition in other areas. I really appreciate you sticking about with
the project for so long, through its ups and downs, as well as all the work
you've put into fixing the paper cuts, and I hope you'll stick about into
the future.

Thanks,
Chris

Follow ups