phatch-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Actions

Hi,

2009/9/7 Stani <spe.stani.be@xxxxxxxxx>:
> The good thing about Igor is that he is not a developer (except of
> course for the excellent icons ;-)), but an end user from the first
> hour. So he thinks more like a designer. Besides graphic profesionals,
> the target audience for Phatch also includes for whom programs like
> Gimp, Fusion 6 or Photoshop are too difficult. So we should keep the
> organisation of actions as simple as possible. The tags should be the
> best organisation of the *current* actions. Juho, I really appreciate
> your ambition with Phatch, but I prefer not to add categories/tags
> with only entrance or todo items. This feels a bit like an "under
> construction homepage". Of course Phatch is in constant evolution and
> will continue to grow, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't present
> Phatch as a polished release.

The point was to show how to possibly ~extend~ the structure. When it
comes to categorization, each application has its own way.

Note that I was thinking more in terms of Python packages/modules
(treelike hierarchy). For me the point of categorization is to split
things up level by level from abstract to concrete. I don't think
three levels (high level concept, possible middle level, low level) in
a category tree is too much. In my view it's much worse to have a huge
root level with many categories without any subcategorization. In this
case you lose some vital information about the structure.

It's possible to use a shallow structure in practice and tag some
action to say "decor" and "filter". This way when you do a search on
these terms you obviously get some filter that can be used for
decoration (ie. border and such). Or on more general search you just
might want to see all filters, generators or whatever.

Note that the structure does ~not~ constraint the user interface in
any meaningful manner. You can put the actions in menus, have nice
folders for them, use tagging etc. It's generic in that way.

Sincerely,
Juho Vepsäläinen