phatch-dev team mailing list archive

Phatch log format

Hey,
I've been trying to figure a good way to parse phatch logs in the test
suite. However, the current log format is not parsing friendly. I really
would prefer to spend the effort on improving the log format rather than
hacking a solution around the current one.

It would really help if all logs followed the same template and indicated
the type of the log at the beginning. It will also be more user friendly if
the errors numbers started from 1 rather than 0. Here is a suggestion:

%(type) %(number): %(message)
<tab>Target: %(target)
<tab>Action: %(action)
<tab>Details: %(details)
<newline>
%(type) %(number): %(message)
<tab>Target: %(target)
<tab>Action: %(action)
<tab>Details: %(details)
The type can be warning or error

If the error was an exception that can't be linked to a specific action or
image then the format can become:
%(type) %(number): %(message)
<tab>Message: %(message)
<tab>Details: %(details)

That will make parsing possible. It is also more consistent and easier to
understand for end users as well.

Best Regards,
Nadia