phatch-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Phatch log format

Hey Robin,

Nice to hear from you :)
Please reply to the group mailing address so everyone can read your
suggestions ;)

> I strongly encourage you to write the log file an existing language -
> Python being the obvious candidate (or XML or JavaScript/JASON).  In this
> way every message is an object and additional fields can be added without
> impacting your parser.  As you know, I don't really know Python, however in
> JavaScript an error message could be written as:
>
> { 'type' : 123
> , 'Target' : 'something'
> , 'Action' : 'GeoTag.py'
> , 'Date' : new Date('Thu Oct 08 2009 15:26:00 GMT-0700 (PDT)')
> , etc etc ........
> }  //

That will actually be very good from the parsing prospective, but not for
users readability. Since the logs are displayed to users at the end of
actionlist execution. So they should also be user friendly. Unless we are
going to show the users a different version of the error message.

> If you later want to know the user's name, machine type and so on, you can
> add those fields easily.  Looping over a directory of error messages is a
> two minute job.
>
> Is there anything like this already in Python for reporting bugs to the
> Python people?
>
> There is a very good logging module in the python library. It doesn't use
XML or JSON, just plain text. But it is very handy if you want to follow the
same template for errors.

Best Regards,

Nadia