pkgme-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Almost ready for backends...

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 10:05 -0500, James Westby wrote:

> > Is there any guidance about how to examine the directory?  Like, if a
> > fictional scheme backend is looking for scheme files, how hard should it
> > look?  In all toplevel subdirectories?  In a subdirectory called 'src'?
> > Or shall it be up to the backend?
>
> I think this should depend on the backend.
>
> If the convention with scheme is for a src/ directory, then it should
> look there.

OK, but let's take the example of a fictitious C backend.  For 80%* of
simple apps, the convention is src/.  For others, more complicated
things happen.  I can't remember the scope for pkgme, but is targeting
80% of simple apps enough, or should a C backend look all over?

I guess I'm asking if pkgme backends are encouraged/allowed to set a
convention or work with all setups.  I suspect the answer is that we
should try to work with all setups.

* totally made up number

--
mterry