pkgme-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Almost ready for backends...

On Nov 10, 2010, at 10:18 AM, Michael Terry wrote:

>OK, but let's take the example of a fictitious C backend.  For 80%* of
>simple apps, the convention is src/.  For others, more complicated
>things happen.  I can't remember the scope for pkgme, but is targeting
>80% of simple apps enough, or should a C backend look all over?
>
>I guess I'm asking if pkgme backends are encouraged/allowed to set a
>convention or work with all setups.  I suspect the answer is that we
>should try to work with all setups.

I think 80% (or whatever it is, i.e. a large majority) is a fine goal for
pkgme.  It does not need to handle everything.  I also think it's perfectly
fine to be reasonably opinionated and set conventions for what it wants to
handle, perhaps with some wiggle room.  For example, the Python backend could
decide to handle just packages with a fairly simple but minimally complete
setup.py.

I expect that over time, the backends will improve to handle more cases but
for now, handling the *sane* cases is enough.

-Barry