poweremail-community team mailing list archive

Re: Transition of module code to Github

Hello Raimon,

On Aug 30, 2011, at 5:03 AM, Raimon Esteve wrote:

> 2011/8/30 Sharoon Thomas <sharoonthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Its a long time since I have written to the poweremail community and I guess
>> most of us in this community are active developers (rather than users).
>> I have not been able to pay more attention to poweremail as I thought the
>> project would not be significant after a part of it got merged into
>> openerp-addons as email_template but from the bugs reported and personal
>> emails I get, the project still seems to be relevant. A discussion with
>> Sebastien of Akretion today further motivated to me write about the content
>> of this email (I guess you have already guessed what it is from the
>> subject).
>
> You know poweremail module is not dead. This summer, Zikzakmedia add
> new features, for example, and we develop poweremail_filter (v5) for
> send emails automatly by conditions models ;)

This is what I love about open source :-)

>> I propose that we move the repository for active development from launchpad
>> to github and only maintain a mirror in launchpad.
>
> Also we work with github. IMHO, if this project is OERP, working at
> Launchpad, if you redesign for Tryton, working with hg, etc...
>
> But we add another question more important: the licence.
>
> All modules l10n_es, for example, members Spanish localization (1)
> changed licence GPL-3 to AGPL-3. We propose change licence poweremail
> module.
>
> @sharroon, what do you think about licence?

I personally do not have any problem with moving to AGPL v3 but I guess that should be a separate conversation. The copyright of the module is owned by several people and especially there is a html2text part budged in the code - which is a GPL chunk of code written by Aaron Swartz. So we have to remove that part before the module can be AGPLv3.

We are planning to refactor the codebase (which was one of the major reasons I wanted to shift to github) which will definitely break backward compatibility unless someone wants to write a SQL patch to alter field names and table names etc. There is also a major security hole (part of email_template also) which needs to be fixed as well (I cannot disclose the exploit in public). I think we could relicense the refactored version in AGPL and leave the current module in the current state ?