pyexiv2-developers team mailing list archive

Next release of pyexiv2

Hello pyexiv2 users and developers,

You may have noticed that lately I managed to dedicate some time to
pyexiv2 and fixed some bugs and implemented missing functionalities.
I hope to be able to keep up with this pace in the coming weeks, and my
goal is to release a new version before Christmas.

Since the trunk has seen the addition of missing functionalities (and
therefore new APIs), instead of bumping the version number to 0.2.3 as I
had initially planned, I will be releasing pyexiv2 0.3. Let me be clear
about it: 0.3 is fully backward compatible with 0.2, no existing API
will be broken. I know this matters for people who started porting their
applications from the 0.1 series to the 0.2 series. All the work
achieved so far to port your application is still valid.

One of the reasons for this new release is that I want to get it in the
next release of Ubuntu, 11.04 (Natty Narwhal). The 0.1 series has done
its time. This may not matter equally to all of you, but Ubuntu is my
platform of choice and it matters to me ;)
To achieve this, we need to ensure that all reverse-dependencies of
pyexiv2 in Ubuntu are ported to 0.3 in a timely manner and have stable
releases. In the current version of Ubuntu, those reverse dependencies are:
 - lazygal
 - phatch-cli
 - videoporama

I am willing to help in porting those applications to pyexiv2’s new API,
let me know how I can help.

Now is also a good time to let me know if you are missing a feature in
pyexiv2, there may be time to implement it before the release. To do so,
please file a bug report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/pyexiv2/+filebug,
or start a discussion on this mailing list.

Comments and remarks are welcome!
Cheers,

Olivier

Follow ups