python-quantities-developers team mailing list archive

big speedups today in quantities

I was following code execution using eric4's tools today, trying to identify
why it was taking so long to load the constants module. I found a number of
ways to streamline the instantiation of Quantity and its subclasses,
optimized UnitQuantity.simplified, and the biggest optimization by far was
to use ._dimensionality for internal comparisons instead of .units, wherever
possible. The unit tests now run in about 0.6 seconds, they were taking 2
seconds.

I tagged a 0.5a2 release and loaded it up at PyPI. There is still lots to do
before I make an announcement, but I wanted to make a source dist available
so people I work with can download it and provide some feedback.

Darren

Follow ups