Re: Suggestions for the interface

Hello,

I've checked it out (I wrote an ebuild if anyone's interested). Bad news first.

The dragging/scrolling feels less smooth; I checked out 0.2.2 and it
turned out I was right. I don't know what causes this behaviour, but
it happens both with fit width and with regular zoom. Fiddling with
page caches and prefetch didn't seem to make a difference.

Zooming in and out also exposes a glitch of the border: sometimes it
doesn't fit the page (e.g. the top part is 1 pixel lower than it
should be or the left one is offset 1 pixel to the right and so on).
In these cases, alignment follows the border instead of the page
itself.

Speaking of zoom, how about adding an option (maybe under settings) to
scale all pages to the same width (the largest) under 2-page view, the
way okular does?

There's also page down/up which could scroll one screenfull at a time,
instead of just putting you at the beginning of the next/previous
page.

And now on to the good news. I see you added a few buttons. Of course,
I wouldn't mind a few more :)

I'd like it if you could have buttons for fit page/width, too, and
make that drop-down list into a text box to display nothing else but
percentages (like page number). You could always see the exact zoom
level, and you'd also see if the buttons are pressed.

Since the drop-down list for page layout is gone, another pair of
buttons (for continuous mode and 1/2 pages view) would be in order. I
think buttons are more efficient than drop-down lists, since instead
of clicking in one place, finding the desired option and clicking on
it, you can get away with one click most of the time.

And does using those icon sets that tend to be around (e.g. hicolor)
instead of coming with its own icons seem a good idea? This way the
user may change them along with the icon theme (and also get rid of
the SVG dependency).

I also think hinting is nice (although some fonts seem to disagree).
How about adding further options, such as autohinting, hinting styles
(full, medium, slight) and subpixel rendering?

P.S. Sorry about the translation, but I've been busy with a few
(university) projects. I'll get back to it soon.