Hello, some comments about the new features in Qpdfview (new report)

Hi!

Sorry that I was kind of lost for a long time; I had too much work and
teaching duties so I didn't have the time to send comments about my
favourite viewer, but here I am again. Despite not being reporting issues,
actually i use qpdfview every day, so I am aware of what is happening with
the program.

Issues:

1) Last time I checked, the deb file for qpdfview (I use the daily ppa)
doesn't have all the dependencies for installing correctly the program. It
is not easy to discover this, because usually you install other Qt-based
programs before. But when I installed Ubuntu 12.10 and choose qpdfview as
my first program to install, I realized that at least the icon theme is not
incorporated so you don't see the icons in the menu bar. Later on I
installed Libreoffice and it asked for several icon themes, so I installed
the tango icon theme and everything was back to normal.

2) I am glad you want to use qpdfview to see PS and Djvu files ... that's
wonderful and one step closer to uninstall ugly Evince from my computer!!
 The only thing missing for LaTeX users are the display of EPS and DVI
files, I hope these can be viewed in the future :)

However, there are some issues I would like to report:

(a) DJVU files take a lot of time to open (appear on screen). Fortunately,
once the first page appears on the screen, the rendering is fine and fast
... so the problem is only in startup time, Of course, my comparisons
correspond to DjView and Evince. And I like the fact that qpdfview is much
lighter than DjView; the latter suffers the same problem I reported several
months ago that happened to Okular about RAM consumption after scrolling
pages. qpdfview does not suffer from this problem anymore.

(b) I think it could be considered to separate default rendering settings
depending on the document type (PDF, DjView and PS) in the settings. The
reason is that they need different choices to see them correctly. My test
here was based in using the program in two different computers, one laptop
and one desktop.

- PDF fonts are viewed optimally when using antialiasing and text
antialiasing. So I keep them checked in the settings dialog.
- However, PS fonts are not viewed optimally using those settings. I need
to unckeck both to see correctly the text.
- Usually I view PDF and PS files using the zoom at 100% by default.
However, this is not frequent for DJVU files, because most of them came
from scanning original texts, so
usually you need something like a two page mode and fit width, rather than
height.

So currently, it is a bit cumbersome to alternate changing modes according
to the filetype, when there could be a way to choose these default
depending on the document type. I know you can save settings per file
(useful for old files stored in my computer), but still you would need to
change preferences for each new file.

Thanks for your attention and happy new year!. I you guys need something
else I can test, I will gladly do it.

Best wishes,

Sandor

Follow ups