quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: Running quickly applications outside ubuntu

Proposal # 1
> Ubuntu centric (debian packaging)
If anything debian centric (debian packaging) ;)
Adding a rpm-package.py command is neither helped or hindered by
making the template modular. Quickly is modular, I wrote an app for my
wife even though I didn't have a ppa. It is only the template that
isn't modular. I'm not sure about the effect of
python-distutils-extra, it automatically puts the project help files
into the gnome help files directories.

Proposal #2
>Make the root template gtk-application and make ubuntu-application
>descend from it like this.

This would also need qt-application - kde-application -
kubuntu-application, instead of the non-existent kubuntu-application !

ubuntu-application-vala will work equally well whether the base
*python* template has "import LaunchpadIntegration" or not. The class
that has "import LaunchpadIntegration" subclasses a gtk class so has
little bearing on the design of the kubuntu-application template (aka
ubuntu-application-kde).

Proposal #3: Fork ubuntu-application
 Forking means that improvements and bug fixes in ubuntu-application
does not get into gtk-application without extra work. For instance
one-icon didn't get into pygame but probably should have.
An alternative to forking would be to "patch" ubuntu-application
inside template/gtk-application/create.py by using
update_file_content(...) say to replace "import LaunchpadIntegration"
by "\n" etc.
Removing code is like this is far more difficult than adding code.
Imagine the case where a upgrade to ubuntu-application changes "import
LaunchpadIntegration" to "import LaunchpadIntegration,
another_module". Having a gtk-template and an add "import
LaunchpadIntegration\n" inside template/ubuntu-application/create.py
or as a standalone add command is likely to be more robust.