quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: Preferences

OK by itself ide does not require a preferences system. A simple ide
approach is to use QUICKLY_EDITOR (with all the fallbacks) in
get_quickly_editors() to edit multiple files and EDITOR in
read_input() to block and edit one file. Currently both
get_quickly_editors() and read_input() are locked together.
 I toyed with the idea of using $quickly configure ide but $quickly
configure is only available inside a project. Perhaps make $quickly
configure available outside a project.

 A related branch, add_widgets, allows a developer to run quickly add
<foo> where <foo> is one of the developer's custom favourite file e.g.
company_logo.png. In order to do that we need $quickly add to look
inside <a quickly template>/store *and* the developer's files e.g.
~/Templates. We need an option somewhere pointing to these outside
template files.

add_widgets branch creates this file ~/.config/quickly/preferences

[DEFAULT]
#plugin_path = files which can be used with quickly add command
plugin_path = /usr/share/pyshared/quickly/widgets
ide = gedit
#ide = editor defined in environment

[ubuntu-application]

[ubuntu-flash-game]

[ubuntu-pygame]

[ubuntu-cli]

and uses read_input() to change it.

The point is that configuration is available in 2 of 3 possibilities
quickly has .bashrc
projects have .quickly
templates have nothing

Different templates could need different plugin_path e.g. ~/Templates/java

ubuntu-cli and ubuntu-pygame applications do not have a $quickly add command

For user/developer experience $quickly preferences (or $quickly
configure) -> edit the presented file seems easier than
$EDITOR ~/.bashrc
logout (or close terminal)
login or gnome-terminal
especially as quickly can fill ~/.config/quickly/preferences with lots
of comments