rapid-users team mailing list archive

Next version of Rapid Photo Downloader

Hi everyone,

This is just a brief note to say that I've been prototyping the next version. There will be two primary changes: the user interface, and an increase in program performance.

I've decided to present the images prior to download as thumbnails, rather than as a list:

thumbnails

Please note this is just a prototype and of course there are plenty of things that are wrong and/or missing, like the buttons to actually begin the download, etc. etc.

When you double click on one of the images, it will show you a full screen preview, scaled up to the size of the window:

preview

You can double-click to go back to the list of thumbnails. Eventually I'll need to add buttons to provide the same functionality, too, as well as keyboard navigation, etc.

The increase in performance should be immediately apparent: it's about 50 times faster to scan all the photos and videos, and generate thumbnails for them. What does that mean, in a practical sense? In the test above, with almost 3,500 images totalling approximately 61GB, version 0.3.4 with pyexiv 0.3.0 took over half an hour to scan all the photos and videos(!). The prototype takes 36 seconds, which isn't bad for considering it's reading from compact flash cards. For those users who don't care about thumbnails and just want to immediately download everything, the actual scan (without thumbnail generation) took place in 1.5 seconds, which is about 1000 times faster.

The performance increase comes about because (1) I'm using python multiprocessing instead of python threads, and (2) I've been careful to optimize where it makes sense to do so, e.g. only grab a high resolution thumbnail when it's actually displayed.

Let me know what you think.

Damon

--

http://www.damonlynch.net