rapid-users team mailing list archive

Re: 4 topics; if default folder has too many pics, thumbnails wont show, partial selection and hangs...

2011-09-25 18:24, Damon Lynch skrev:
> On 09/24/2011 05:45 PM, Andreas Nyback wrote:
>> Some problems came up when running latest rpd. Using the gentoo ebuild in gentoo bugzilla that i have updated myself to install rpd 4.1.
>> Just to ask if this is how it behaves for you as for me.
>>
>> * Selected folder trouble
>> I had unintentionally selected my home folder as the path to download
>> from in the preferences, recursive mode. This made rpd scan all folders
>> under my home folder and it found like 1500 files it displayed icons for
>> to download. But once it displayed them it was hard to change folder to
>> something else in the preferences. Rpd got very busy and unresponsive.
> A nice feature to have would be to ask the user if they really do want
> to download everything from /home or /media. I have created a wishlist
> bug for this feature: https://bugs.launchpad.net/rapid/+bug/859012
That would solve those two cases but not other cases when you
accidentally start to scan any other folder that is containing too many
files.
Maybe a quick and dirty fix would be that rapid should not start up with
a lot of icons from the last scan. It could start with an empty window
and you always have to press download to start scanning?
As it is now, when you have run a scan that collected many media files,
the gui gets unresponsive and you have to kill rapid by force. When you
start it again it will have all the collected files cached and will at
once go down in unresponsive mode. Let it always start empty and the
problem is solved maybe.
The real fix would be to figure out a way to not make it unresponsive
with many media files :)

>> * Thumbnails
>> I never see thumbnails until I have clicked "download" with the default
>> icons selected, and it starts to download files. For each file
>> downloaded the thumbnail will show up as it progresses.
>> Should it not be so that you see the thumbnails at once when the files
>> are listed, before you start the actual download? so you see what it is
>> that you will download.
> What file formats are you attempting to download?
jpg and nef (nikon raw)
>> * Select files
>> I can click "check all" and "uncheck all". After uncheck all you can
>> drag your mouse to frame and select several icons at once. Can I do
>> "check selection" to select all the files I framed with the mouse?
>
> You can check or uncheck one selected file - it will check or uncheck
> all the other selected files at the same time.
Ah!! great :)
>> * Hang
>> When I download there is always some files where rapid just hangs. The
>> default icon for that file is not thumb-nailed and it just sits there
>> forever. The file is fine for all other application but RPD.
>
> Instead of a stack trace, you can run Rapid Photo Downloader from a
> terminal like this:
>
> rapid-photo-downloader --debug
>
> I suspect you are downloading from a file that is not straight off the
> camera and has been manipulated by another program, causing one of
> exiv2/pyexiv2 or Rapid Photo Downloader to crash.

Like i wrote in my other post disabling thumbnails solved it. No hangs
with no thumbnails.
Will try to see what debug says with thumbnails on, but i ran into
another trouble before i could try.
Now when i start up rapid (after i scanned a different folder) and i
want to go into preferences to turn on thumbnails again i get a
segfault. I cant change path to download too since i cant open prefs.

--debug gives:
[INFO/MainProcess] Rapid Photo Downloader 0.4.1
[INFO/MainProcess] Using pyexiv2 0.3.0
[INFO/MainProcess] Using exiv2 0.21.1
[INFO/MainProcess] Using hachoir 1.3.3
[INFO/MainProcess] Downloads that have occurred so far today: 356
[INFO/MainProcess] allocating a new mmap of length 4096
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455770284032
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455770279936
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455770275840
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455770271744
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455770267648
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455770263552
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455770259456
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455770255360
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/rapid/rapid.py:2769: GtkWarning:
Unknown property: GtkMenuBar.ubuntu-local
  builder.add_from_file(paths.share_dir("glade3/rapid.ui"))
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/rapid/rapid.py:2769: GtkWarning:
Unknown property: GtkMenu.ubuntu-local
  builder.add_from_file(paths.share_dir("glade3/rapid.ui"))
[INFO/GetPreviewImage-1] child process calling self.run()
[DEBUG/MainProcess] Start of day is set to 3:0
[DEBUG/MainProcess] SubfolderFile PID: 3223
[INFO/MainProcess] Using manually specified path
/home/andreas/n900_/MyDocs/MyDocs
[INFO/SubfolderFile-2] child process calling self.run()
[DEBUG/SubfolderFile-2] Finished 0. Getting next task.
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455430934528
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455430930432
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455430926336
[DEBUG/MainProcess] Queue._after_fork()
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455430922240
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455430918144
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455430914048
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455430909952
[DEBUG/MainProcess] created semlock with handle 140455430905856
[DEBUG/Scan-3] Queue._after_fork()
[INFO/Scan-3] child process calling self.run()
[DEBUG/MainProcess] TaskManager PID: 3224
[INFO/Scan-3] process shutting down
[DEBUG/Scan-3] running all "atexit" finalizers with priority >= 0
[DEBUG/Scan-3] running the remaining "atexit" finalizers
[INFO/Scan-3] process exiting with exitcode 0
[INFO/MainProcess] Found 454 bilder och filmer
[INFO/MainProcess] Files total 179.2MB
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/rapid/preferencesdialog.py:804:
GtkWarning: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup:
*Error on row* 1 *character* 31:"/" *is not a vaild character after
closing element name* "b<". *The allowed character is* ">"
  self.builder.add_from_file(paths.share_dir("glade3/prefs.ui"))
*Segmentationfault*

The letters in bold (if you read your mail in html :) is my translation
to english. I have swedish on my computer so i tried to translate the
swedish error messages for you :)