rednotebook-users team mailing list archive

Re: Fwd: rednotebook removed from Debian Stable?

On Fri, 2018-01-19 at 18:42 -0600, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> Hello
> What does need a sponsor mean? Do I need to reach out to somebody in
> Debian.Org and tell them to accept the package because it's ready and build
> and passed all necessary prerequisites?
> Or
> It you need a sponsor (person that actually builds ) /create a .Deb and src
> repos. And of yes what I need to do?
>
> Sponsor vs maintainer?
>
> Thank you
> Lucas

Hi Lucas,

All new packages into debian require a sponsor. A sponsor is a debian developer
with upload rights that takes on and validates the new package to be of the
quality to enter debian. The sponsor should work with the submitter to work out
any issues and once the developer is happy, they would then upload to the debian
archive for build and inclusion within the OS proper and close all related ITP
(Intent To Package) and RFS (Request For Sponsorship) bugs reports[1].

Sponsor vs Maintainer ...

As I said a sponsor is an existing debian developer with upload rights.

The maintainer (day to day) of a package is usually the submitter of the
package. In this case the day to day maintainer of the package once accepted
back into debian would be me. Every time Jendrik pushes out a release, I would
pick it up, build and test it, debianize it and then upload it.

When the package was submitted to debian, developers for the project wanted some
changes as a seperate 'debian' folder that was not part of upstream and the
changelog should be a continuation of the one that was in debian previously back
in the rednotebook 1.x days. All fixes went to Jendrik and upstream and all
external 'debian' folder data is hosted by me at:

https://gitlab.com/kathenas_external/debian/rednotebook

I am going to reach out to certain debian developers over this weekend and try
and push for someone to look at it. If I get no joy by early next week, I will
email you guys and maybe go for a more public 'What does it take to get into
debian, the sponsorship process is flawed?' type of campaign. :-)

[1] All package submissions are organised via the debian bug tracking system.

Regards

Phil

P.S. Can we please do bottom posting for better conversation flow. Thanks.

- --
*** If this is a mailing list, I am subscribed, no need to CC me.***

Playing the game for the games sake.

Web: https://kathenas.org

GitLab: https://gitlab.com/kathenas

Twitter: kathenasorg

Instagram: kathenasorg

GPG: A0C3 4C6A AC2B B8F4 F1E5 EDF4 333F 60DC B0B9 BB77