rednotebook-users team mailing list archive

Re: Fwd: rednotebook removed from Debian Stable?

On 16.08.20 18:35, Phil Wyett wrote:
On Sat, 2020-08-15 at 20:34 +0200, Jendrik Seipp wrote:
On 15.08.20 20:06, Phil Wyett wrote:
Hi Jendrik,

After I have made the necessary changes and the debian package build
is
good to go, I will let you know and we can then speak on Debian
distro
submission.

Regards

Phil
Awesome!

Cheers,
Jendrik
Hi Jendrik,

Right... :-)

Currently rednotebook VCS uses master for all test builds. This is
awkward to prepare rednotebook for Debian inclusion thus then inclusion
in Ubuntu. Ideally...

master branch is for latest Debian/Ubuntu sources that uses all the
latest compat and other packaging settings. This would make submission
to Debian (sid/unstable, where all new packages and new versions go)
easier.

stable branch would be the one that has all backward compat for Debian
stable and the Ubuntu LTS versions you wish to support. This branch
would be committed to directly and rarely change; and would only be
updated with fully compatible and tested Debian/Ubuntu packaging
changes.

Doing the above makes life easier, knowing that master branch is
bleeding edge and stable is highly compatible for builds on already in
production systems that currently would not get rednotebook inclusion.
In time this would change when rednotebook is accepted into both the
Debian/Ubuntu archives, matures and is part of the archive at distro
release time.

Thoughts?
Hi Phil,

You're the Debian expert, so I'll gladly follow your advice. However, I think we should try to keep things simple and only add complexity where needed. The most important goal is to get RedNotebook into Debian again, which I guess means getting it into sid/unstable. So from my perspective, we could just make the changes necessary to get it into sid/unstable and then see which stable Debian and Ubuntu versions we can support with the same code or if we need to introduce changes in a separate branch for these. Does this make sense?

Cheers,
Jendrik