relinux-dev team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #234004]: Startx stays black after running relinux

Question #234004 on relinux changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/relinux/+question/234004

Joel Leclerc proposed the following answer:
"I did try that tutorial...no errors....but restarted and startx command
still doing the same....." Dang... well, it was worth a try.

"so relinux is strictly ubuntu?" Currently, yes. 0.5 is going to remove
that limitation, but the last goal I had for it was about 5-6 months
away from now, so.... yeah...

A) I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "making it default on the
installer", but if you mean that relinux will retain those changes and
will reflect them on the generated ISO, then yes and no. The only way
for personal (i.e. things that are not system-wide) changes to be
reflected on the ISO is for you to copy them over to /etc/skel. Think of
/etc/skel as a "skeleton" for the contents of the home directory when a
new user (that includes the live user on the ISO) is created. So
basically, anything that is in /etc/skel will be copied over to the new
home directory.

B) I haven't really checked about how skype is made, but if the
accepting of the license is personal (not system-wide), then all you
have to do is to not copy over the skype configuration file that says
that you have accepted the license (to /etc/skel).

C) Sure, here are two:

    http://lkubuntu.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/relinux-a-way-to-create-a-bootable-iso-out-of-your-system/ (Scroll down to the section describing /etc/skel)
    http://hamacker.wordpress.com/ubuntu-perfeito/crindo-seu-livecd/ (huge tutorial, and does contain some entries related to copying files over to /etc/skel)

And one tip (I haven't written this into a tutorial yet... I should
soon): If you want to use an application such as gnome-control-center or
ubuntu-tweak or something of the likes, and you don't want to try and
find each configuration file it changed, simply run it like this:

    HOME=/etc/skel     gnome-control-center

I know these aren't many, but once you understand how it works, it
becomes more of a matter of time, finding the configuration files for
each application you want, and copying them over to /etc/skel (or if
you're copying over your whole home directory to /etc/skel, then it
becomes a matter of removing those that you don't want)

Hope this helps!

Relinux development, which is an answer contact for relinux.