Re: PKGBUILD for Archlinux

Didier,

>> > I updated the installation page on the wiki to mention the PKGBUILD:
>> > http://rohc-lib.org/wiki/doku.php?id=library-install
>>
>> I edited the Archlinux page so that yaourt is *not* launched as root.
>> Indeed, the PKGBUILD retrieval and compilation is done under the
>> current unprivileged user, and root access is asked only for package
>> installation, for better safety.
>
> OK. On Gentoo Linux, emerge is run as root and it then uses a
> unprivileged user to build sources.

Oh, OK, good to know! It is always interesting to know a little about
other package managers.

>> And here is the PKGBUILD:
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=62479 It is obviously based
>> on the PKGBUILD for the release, so if you're ok with the first one,
>> this one should be good too :)
>
> I cannot test it because I didn't have a Arch Linux, but it seems fine.
>
> How do you choose between the trunk and 1.4.1 PKGBUILD with yaourt?

In fact, these two are two distinct packets.
When you search for rohc in yaourt, you've got the following results
(don't mind the numbers between parens, it's the number of votes an
AUR packet received):

$ yaourt rohc
1 aur/rohc 1.4.1-1 [installed] (1)
    RObust Header Compression (ROHC) library
2 aur/rohc-bzr 519-1 (0)
    RObust Header Compression (ROHC) library

So, people know they can either install:
 - rohc-1.4.1-1, which stands for "released version, upstream version:
1.4.1, package version: 1"
 - rohc-bzr 519-1 for "version from bazaar DVCS, rev 519 (when package
was done, it is updated when the user builds the packet), package
version: 1"

If they install the release version, the package will be updated when
the PKGBUILD is updated (new upstream version or packaging
correction/improvement).
For the -bzr version, the package will be updated when the PKGBUILD is
(packaging improvement/correction), or if there is a new revision
available in the bazaar trunk branch.

Since rohc-bzr conflicts with and provides "rohc", users can easily
switch from one packet to another, without breaking their system, or
any package which may have a dependency on rohc.

Regards,
Audric