savanna-all team mailing list archive

Re: advanced hadoop configuration

Some comments inline.

Rack awareness if being implemented in nova and scheduler groups is well
under way, some of it in the code review phase.

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM, John Speidel <jspeidel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  Thanks Ruslan, we are very happy that there is agreement to include
> advanced Hadoop configuration functionality in Savanna.
> Now we can focus on the technical aspects of implementing this
> functionality.
>
> I would like to take some time to clarify a possible misunderstanding in
> the advanced configuration approach previously described.
>
> The plugin specific advanced hadoop configuration would not dictate any
> specific VM configuration.  In the advanced use case, the user would still
> need to specify VM related information independent of the hadoop
> configuration which would include VM count, flavor of VM's, etc.  In the
> future, we may need to allow additional VM related information to be
> provided such as rack, physical host, etc., but this would not be in the
> hadoop configuration.  This information is used to provision all VM's.  The
> module responsible for provisioning the VM's would not need any Hadoop
> related information from the advanced configuration.  The VM would be
> provisioned with no knowledge from the hadoop configuration.  It would not
> know anything about hadoop services, roles, etc.  The VM's would basically
> be Hadoop agnostic.  Basically, the VM provisioning module would be
> responsible for interacting with OpenStack (nova) to provision vanilla VM's
> based on a VM configuration which would contain instance count, VM images,
> flavors of the VM's and potentially rack and other topology related
> information.  In the VM configuration it would be possible to specify the
> image/flavor for all VM's.
>
> At the completion of the VM provisioning step, no Hadoop related
> configuration/provisioning has occurred on any VM.
>
> After all of the VM's have been provisioned, the Hadoop plugin would be
> invoked and the advanced Hadoop configuration as well as VM cluster
> information would be provided to the Hadoop plugin.  The VM information
> would contain specific information about all VM's that have been
> provisioned in the previous step.  For each VM that was provisioned, the VM
> configuration would contain VM properties that would describe the VM
> properties to the Hadoop plugin.  This would include things such as VM
> flavor, image, networking information, rack, physical host, etc.  The
> hadoop configuration would specify all hadoop services as well as rules for
> mapping services/roles to a set of physical VM's, which have already been
> provisioned.  These rules would utilize the properties provided in the VM
> configuration.

This seems to defeat the whole purpose of Savanna. You can achieve all of
this with a simple Heat template to create all the desired vms and then
just proceed as usual with Ambari to do the Hadoop specific configuration.
Or even more have an extension in Ambari to just call the Heat Api and you
have Hadoop provisioned on Openstack thru Ambari. Lets not try to
complicate things and make the Savanna API provider specific. The whole
point of Openstack is to provide abstractions and make things easier for
the user not harder.

Take for example nova. When I create a server thru nova I don't need to
really know what hypervisor is used or what volume backend is being used,
all I need to know is I will get a linux or windows vm. I'm not necessarily
disagreeing with the advanced configuration options, just
the approach taken seems to be very specifically targeted and as far as
possible would like that not to be the case.

> For example, a configuration could dictate that all master services would
> run on a single VM which had a minimum of 2G RAM and that all slave roles
> run on every other machine.  These role mapping rules would be in simple
> query form such as MEMORY > 2G and DISK_SPACE > X. The rules would not
> dictate the number of necessary hosts for a given cluster.  After the
> Hadoop provider determined which services/roles would be placed on each VM,
> the Hadoop provider would be responsible for installing all Hadoop bits,
> configuring and starting all services on each VM.  For HDP, this would be
> done using Ambari.
>
> The important thing that I am trying to convey is that VM configuration is
> distinct from hadoop configuration.  The VM plugin would provision vanilla
> VM's(may use hadoop plugin image with local repos installed) and the Hadoop
> plugin would map services/roles to the VM's that have been provisioned
> based on simple rules in the advanced configuration.

This begs us to reconsider what Savanna is, from what you point out all of
this can be easily achieved with Heat why need Savanna at that point. New
features can always be added, but it's going to be difficult to remove
existing features, so before we go full onboard with implementing lets
reconsider.

To make my point clear, I'm of the opinion that Savanna does node placement
and roles mapped to templates, meaning Savanna rather the user (maybe in a
future iteration that's abstracted as well) decides what flavor to choose
for a namenode vs datanode (provided via templates) and provides additional
configuration to tune the cluster. Savanna creates the VM's and provides
placement and role information to the provider rather than the provider
deciding which VM plays which role.