Re: Cleaning Up Package Titles/Descriptions

2010/9/8 Tom Hoffman <tom.hoffman@xxxxxxxxx>:
> OK, here's a hairball to straighten out.  Package descriptions.  I'm looking
> at this based on how it looks in the Ubuntu Software Center.  I'm going to
> say making the descriptions make sense here is the first priority.
> Figuring out which ones do what is, however, the first step for me.
> As they show up in the Software Center, there is basically a title, subtitle
> and description.  I can't easily penetrate the World of DebCraft to figure
> out how this is expressed internally, so I'll just call them title, subtitle
> and description for now.  We mostly seem to have the name of the package as
> "subtitle" now.  menesis, do these things have names?

There is name, short description, and long description. Short
description is what you called a title, but what you called subtitle
is just a name. In package details they are shown in different order.

> Going through the list in USC, here are the confusing ones.  The biggest
> issue is just making sure one of these screams "THIS IS THE SCHOOLTOOL YOU
> WANT TO INSTALL."

In short, you want to install schooltool-2009. But the name of
default/standard schooltool installation package should be different,
best simply "schooltool".

> * SchoolTool Application
> python-schooltool.stapp2008fall
> This is described as "Standard SchoolTool configuration."
> Perhaps we can change its title to something more like "SchoolTool
> Configuration Package?"  Also, I assume the 2008fall is just hanging around
> because it is a pain in the ass to change it? My feeling at this point is
> that probably we should change the package names to get rid of the years at
> the beginning of the Natty cycle rather than the end of the Maverick.

stapp2008fall was an example application that included all the needed
plugins, and had some example code for building a custom installation.
cambodia, zambia, etc. are similar packages to this one.

This is only implementation detail. I would like to get rid of it.
schooltool.stapp2007 in core is the same, except it automatically
includes plugins. It is possible to merge it into schooltool-2009
package.

The problem why we can't just get rid of this is the impossibility to
disable gradebook plugin after the server has been run with gradebook
enabled.

> * A common information systems platform for school administration
> python-schooltool
> This should be described as "Python libraries used by SchoolTool" or
> something like that?

Yes, this package contains the code of schooltool core. The SchoolTool
library if you want.

This does not include any configuration or servers. All plugins or
custom servers depend on this package.

> * common platform for school administration
> schooltool-2009
> This is the one that you actually want to install and should be the core
> description, right?
> The others are relatively straightforward.

Yes.
This package installs configuration files, init scripts, creates
database and log files. It defines the standard server configuration.

Other, very similar servers are schooltool-cando and
schooltool-zambia. They can run in parallel on different ports.

-------

I would be grateful if you came up with better titles and descriptions
to put in setup.py and README.txt of other plugins as well, and on
Launchpad.

Another name that could be better is schooltool.lyceum.journal. But
the purpose and contents of this plugin should be decided before
choosing a new name.