Virtual UI Sprint:

Following up on this morning's discussion...

>From May 30 - June 10 we will have a virtual (i.e., remote) sprint on
the SchoolTool UI.

Right now, Justas is working on coding up the machinery to implement
the new viewlets we need to clean up and reorganize our UI.  Also,
he'll be fleshing out the expectations about what goes where in the
UI.

The overall design will be based on the Ubuntu Web Guidelines.  We're
also planning a subsequent design iteration, hopefully with a company
here in Providence, that will just focus on colors, branding, button
design and other small features.

The main goal for the sprint is to look at and update *every view in
SchoolTool* to conform to the new guidelines and improve textual
descriptions and other relatively superficial problems.  There are
some high-usage, high-complexity pages that will require further,
extended attention.

The focus, in a sense, will be lower-hanging fruit -- getting the new
UI down by making lots of changes, having, essentially, everyone look
at every page in a short period of time, and agree on revisions,
starting with relatively simple ones and ending with the most complex
ones reserved for attention after the sprint.

Some preliminary issues:

Justas's timetable refactoring should be in the development trunk
prior to this, as well as the UI work he's doing now.

We need a spreadsheet (or database) of every view in the system.
Presumably a list can be generated from our ZCML with a little
trickery?  I think just a Google Doc would be best.

We'll have to park lots of screenshots daily, so if anyone has any
particular thoughts about that...

OK, I'm looking forward to it!

--Tom

Follow ups