From: John Maloney <jmaloney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:16 AM
Subject: PulseAudio sound plugin for Squeak
To: Ian Piumarta <piumarta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bert Freudenberg <
bert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Derek O'Connell <doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Amos Blanton <
amos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Greetings, Ian, Bert, and Sayamindu.

I would like to introduce you to an extremely good hacker who has been doing
a lot of great work on Squeak plugins, sometimes having to resort to
super-hero levels of Unix debugging to understand deep problems.

Derek fought long and hard with Squeak sound on the Nokia N810. When it
became clear that their ALSA library was seriously broken, and he ended up
writing a Squeak sound plugin that talks directly to Maemo's low-level sound
API.

Another task Derek took on was to make camera input work well with a wide
variety of video devices on Linux by finding and using a library that
supports automatic format conversion.

Most recently -- and the reason I'm writing -- Derek wrote a new Squeak
sound plugin that supports PulseAudio (PA). As you probably know, quite a
few Linux distros have recently switched to PulseAudio, which broke the
Squeak ALSA sound plugin. (Although PA has an ALSA compatibility layer, that
layer does not support the asynchronous part of the ALSA API, which the
Squeak ALSA plugin depends upon.)

I'm attaching the latest source and a binary (for Ubuntu 9.04) of the
plugin. Both playback and recording work well, although there is some
latency in playback that we are looking into.

       -- John

P.S. Bert, we first tried the same workaround of using OSS. That worked for
playback, but sound recording was unreliable: sometimes it did nothing and
sometimes it actually crashed Squeak.

--
_____
Amos