scratch team mailing list archive

Sugarizing Scratch

Hi John, all,

I'm working on making the Sugar Journal accessible from Scratch. The plan is to do so with only minimal changes in the UI.

I have a first implementation, and would like to get feedback. Attached is a version that can import Scratch projects, Sprite costumes, Stage backgrounds, and Lists from the Sugar Journal. Importing Sounds should work too but I have not tested that yet.

There is no saving / exporting / writing to the Journal yet.

The UI by default shows the Journal contents as if it was a simple directory. You just click the new Journal button and it lists all the matching entries for the current media type.

Alternatively it can use Sugar's "object chooser". To try that, hold down Shift while clicking the Journal button (the default is governed by useJournalUI pref). If there were thousands of entries in the Journal this might be preferable. But I'm still undecided on this.

To install, get a pristine ScratchSource1.4 image and file in the changesets in this order:
- Compatibility
- DBus
- SugarScratch
You MUST evaluate "DBus startUp: true" once, and after each start of the image (if saved as a user image that happens automatically on each start).

Obviously you need to run this under Sugar.

For convenience, here is a drop-in replacement for the image in the current Scratch activity:
http://dev.laptop.org/~bert/scratch/ScratchXO-bf-Feb23.zip

Again, feedback appreciated.

- Bert -