scratch team mailing list archive

Re: miry approved by amos-scratch

2011/3/16 Amos Blanton <amos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Miriam,

Hi! :)

> This is great! I was under the impression that there were issues with the
> pre-packaged squeak-vm on Ubuntu that prevented us from using it. This kept
> us from solving the 64 bit packaging problem.

I've been using it for some days in my system without perceiving any
problem, and I plan to use it next weeks with the kids. As far as I
noticed, it works OK :)

> I plan to test your package out soon but am a bit swamped at the moment --
> have you found any problems? If it all works , I'm inclined to commit your
> packaging changes to the assembla repository and rebuild an "official"
> package based on your code. We would maintain it. You haven't made any
> changes to the Squeak code, right - just the packaging?

Yup, right. I haven't modified your orig.tar.gz source package in any
way, only the scripts in debian/ to build the package. In my opinion,
the package would still benefit of a couple of days of care and love.

If you think it would be worth to upload to the official Debian and
Ubuntu repositories, I could take care of that, or help/teach you or
your team to do it, or co-maintain the package, if you wish.

> One thing to rule out first: Squeak changed some sound primitives in later
> versions of the VM that should break sound in current versions of Scratch.
> Not sure exactly how - maybe a pink box, or maybe it'll crash. But if you
> are using updated VMs, we should test sound thoroughly.

In my system at least, sounds seems to work OK. I'm using ALSA, not
Pulse, though.

Greetings,
Miry