scratch team mailing list archive

Re: packaging scratch for fedora -- a few comments and questions

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 05:41:03PM -0400, Amos Blanton wrote:
> By the way, the preferred wav format is: uncompressed, mono, 22050
> samples/sec
> (That's what Scratch will change anything else you give to, so we might as
> well start with it).

Okay. For what it's worth, of the existing .wav files, 14 are 22050 and 55
are 11025; converting the MP3s to 11025 and 22050 goes from 5MB to 13MB or
23MB, respectively. My preference is kind of for the smaller, although 10MB
isn't a huge deal in this day and age. Probably the best would be to select
the higher quality ones for the cases where a discerning ear can really tell
the difference -- I'm currently at work with only cheap speakers so someone
else will have to judge, and I'm not sure I have the patience for it. :)

In any case,

   http://mattdm.org/misc/fedora/Sounds.11025.tar.gz

and

   http://mattdm.org/misc/fedora/Sounds.22050.tar.gz

These locations will self-destruct once you tell me you've gotten them. They
contain both the unmodified existing .wav files and the new ones converted
from mp3s.

Also, I noticed that xylo4 has a lower-case X, while all the other sounds
have an upper-case initial letter. I didn't change it...

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>